Start Intimidating police officer

Intimidating police officer

Criminal Recklessness: Up to 180 days in jail, up to $1,000 in fines (Class B misdemeanor); between 6 months and 2 1/2 yrs.

The first level is an introduction to the language; the second focuses law enforcement terms, basic phrases related to policing as well as listening and speaking skills.

Though the program is still new and Olson is working to recruit students, the Minneapolis Police Department was the first to allow its personnel to participate in the class during regular work shifts (provided an officer has the permission of his or her supervisor).

The crime of assault is often misunderstood and confused with the crime of battery, since the two often are charged together (and they are also civil torts).

While battery consists of the unwanted touching of another without their consent that is either harmful or offensive, assault is an attempt or a threat to commit battery.

If all goes as planned, Olson said she plans to expand it to Somali, Hmong, Oromo and other languages spoken by immigrant groups in Minnesota.

So good to know that police departments are recognizing the need, and that immigrants are speaking up about their fear of police.

Most states have both assault and battery laws in their criminal statutes, but Indiana is unique.

Indiana assault laws are not found in the criminal code with the term "assault," but that hardly means assault is legal in the state.

Indiana Assault Laws at a Glance Details about Indiana's assault laws, or rather those statutes which cover the crime using other terminology, can be found in the following chart.

Intimidation / Threat: Class A misdemeanor; Level 6 felony if threat is to commit forcible felony or communicated to a police officer, witness in a trial, etc. Criminal Recklessness: Class B misdemeanor; Level 6 felony if committed while armed with a deadly weapon ; Level 5 felony if committed by shooting a gun into a dwelling where people are likely to gather.

While we strive to provide the most current information available, please consult an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.